Verse of the Day
Psalm 9:10 “Those who know your name trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you.”
Recipe of the Day
Chicken & Veggie Pot Pie
- 2 medium potatoes cut in ½” pieces
- 3-4 Tbsp butter
- ¼ onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- ½ small head of broccoli, cut into small florets
- ½ cup frozen sweet peas, thawed
- 1 cup cooked & cubed chicken breast
- 3 Tbsp flour
- ½ cup milk (or more if needed)
- ½ tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 beaten egg + 1 tsp water
- Pastry for double-crust pie (recipe follows)
- Prepare pie crust. Preheat oven to 375˚. Blanch potatoes in salted boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat butter on medium high. Add onions and sauté a few minutes. Add carrots and sauté a bit more. Add broccoli and sauté a bit more and cover for a minute to release the liquid. Stir in sweet peas and cooked chicken.
- Sprinkle flour over mixture and stir until flour dissolves.
- Pour milk over vegetables and stir until sauce thickens. Add more milk for a thinner sauce. Stir in potatoes.
- Add salt& pepper to taste.
- Remove mixture from heat and fill crust halfway. Sprinkle with ¼ cup cheese. Fill crust to top with remaining mixture and add remaining cheese.
- Cover with second crust and pinch to seal. Poke holes in top of crust and brush with beaten egg mixture.
- Bake at 375˚ for 40-45 minutes until the crust is nice and brown.
Pastry for Double-Crust Pie
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp. salt
½ cup shortening
¼ cup cold water
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, stir together flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add water and mix just until dough comes together, being careful not to over mix. Form into two ball and wrap each with plastic wrap. Place wrapped dough into a bowl and put in refrigerator to rest. Five minutes before use, remove dough from refrigerator. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each dough ball into 10 inch circles.